I’m afraid I’ve not really had time to blog this week, I’ve been flat out, so I’m handing over my recipe for our favourite dinner instead – Chorizo Toad in the Hole.
I can’t believe it’s Sunday already. The week has rattled by. I think the whole of January is going to be a bit of a grind for me and I’ll be able to explain why in a couple of weeks – watch this space! A few people have asked me for recipes recently and I’ll try and post more on my blog as often as I can. The Chelsea Buns went down so well last week – thank you to everyone who sent me pictures of theirs – that’s always a massive thrill.
Our mates across the pond seem to be enjoying the Great British Baking Show on PBS too. A lot of people have asked why it’s not being called the Bake Off over there – apparently Pilsbury owns the rights to the ‘Bake Off’ title in the US. I think our series of Bake Off started on the Lifestyle Food channel in Australia this week too. It’s great that our friends and family overseas are getting to see it from the start.
FINAL PLUG: you only have a few hours to submit your applications for the next series of the Great British Bake Off! This time last year, I’d just had my first audition and screen test – wicked start to the year. Make sure you put loads of pictures in it and remember, they’re not expecting you to be an expert in all aspects of baking – they’re just as interested in you as what you’ve got experience making. Applications need to be in by midnight tonight.
Anyway, today’s recipe is for Chorizo Toad in the Hole. This dinner is one that I normally save up for when my father-in-law Alan comes round as he loves it. It’s not necessarily for his benefit though, it’s also to ration it as otherwise we’d eat it every night! Now, you don’t have to use chipolatas, or chorizo, or even sausages! My mum and dad make this with lamb chops – we call it Chopped Toad – delicious. You can also mix herbs into your batter mix – rosemary, thyme, chopped sage – anything that takes your fancy really. For me, most of the flavour combinations in Toad in the Hole have come from raiding the cupboards and shoving in whatever looks interesting, so have fun with it. This recipe is pretty easy to do, so why not try it during the week. It’s much cheaper than a roast and comes in a massive Yorkshire pudding – what’s not to love!
Chorizo Toad in the Hole
- 12 Chorizo chipolatas
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150g plain flour
- 150ml milk
- 100ml water
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp salt
- Set the oven to 200oC and pour the oil into a large baking tray, put in the oven to heat the oil up
- Prick the chipolatas, peel and quarter the onion and put into the heated baking tray. Place back in the oven for at least 10 minutes before you pour the batter in
- Make the batter by mixing the egg, salt and flour in a bowl with a mixer until smooth. Mix the milk and water together and gradually beat into the mix until smooth
- Once fully mixed, pour into the now hot baking tray and return to the oven. There will be quite a lot of oil in the tray now from the sausages. This will help the batter puff up beautifully. Turn the heat down to 170oC and cook for 40 minutes
- In this time you can do buttery mash, gravy and veg
- Take out, chop and enjoy